"Caudwells furniture shop was on Tutanekai Street for many years, owned by C.A. Caudwell. The building at No. 1205, now houses Robert Harris Cafe and it was always known as Caudwells building. Previous to this it was a cinema."

Quote from Roy Archibald

 and From Don Stafford File, Commerce :  Excerpt from Rotorua Post 7/10/1958.

 "The Old Grand : was cinema, stables, caberet,skating rink and furniture store... purchased by Mr A. H. Caudwell in 1941, renovated and equipped with a new dance floor...right through the war years each night it was the venue of entertainment for United States troops stationed here, but when they left the cabaret slumped`... and for six weeks the caberet became a skating rink. Mr Caudwell converted it into the furniture business which has continued right up to the present..."  

It was then demolished to become a modern two-storey shop and office block.

 For the whole article and photograph see the copy in the Don Stafford File or look at the original newspaper article on microfiche of the Rotorua Post held by Rotorua District Library on the 2nd Floor.

Memories of Library staff

             Other businesses in the locale

Latest 10 topics

Rotorua airport, Fenton Street.
Past and present businesses from Whakaue Street to Amohau Streets
Foundation business in Rotorua
Eat Street, Pukaki Street end..
A few changes have taken place in the last year or so
Tutanekai Street, Rotorua.
As listed in the Bay of Plenty Telephone Books c1968- Present & Rotorua Who's Who 1961-1980, held by Rotorua Library.
New Supermarket : Foodland in Rotorua Photonews .
New in 1963 on Hinemoa Street
Rotorua's only fully allergy friendly cafe at 1153 Pukuatua Street
Tea @ Gooding.
Rotorua's newest Cafe in Fenton Street 2014
A short story of a Rotorua Icon

Contents by type

Random Image from the Archive

Tea @ Gooding.

Blank Play/Pause Slideshow. Next Image.