Topic: Te Hokowhitu-a-Tu Memorial Bridge

Topic type:

At entrance to Te Whakarewarewa Village

Te Hokowhitu a tu at Whakarewarewa 

Commemorates soldiers of Tuhourangi sub-tribe of the Arawa confederation who had died in the two world wars. Unveiled by Lieutenant-Colonel Fortune in the presence of Prime Minister Fraser.  See "The New Century in Rotorua" by Don Stafford, p294-295 and Daily Post 24 April 1950, for more information.

The Anzac Dawn Parade was held at the newly unveiled memorial arch, with Capt. Wi Huata officiating. From there the parade moved off from Arawa Street to the Regent Theatre (Now the Civic Theatre in the Convention Centre Building) where "...divine service will commence at 10.00am, the march past the Cenotaph will take place at 10.30am. Units will march past in the following order : The Pipe Band, returned women of all services, R.S.A. executive, Citizen's Band, other organisations, and general public..." Excerpt from Daily Post 24/4/1950.

Discuss This Topic

There are 0 comments in this discussion.

join this discussion

Te Hokowhitu-a-Tu Memorial Bridge


City:Rotorua
Location:

17 Tryon Street, Whakarewarewa, Rotorua 3010, New Zealand


Latitude and Longitude coordinates: -38.1612475,176.25649410000005

javascript needs to be on to use Google Maps