Topic: Dr Herbert Bertram, 1880-1953

Topic type:

A brief biography

Dr Bertram settled in Rotorua in 1907 coming as assistant medical officer to Dr Wohlmann at the Sanitorium for the first two years before setting up his own private practice specialising in thyroidectomies for goitre's. In 1924 he bought the 40 acre block calling it 'Glenholme' where he brought up his five children, Mary, Joan, Betty, George and Erina. The house was originally built for ex Dragoon Angus MacDonald (in 1900) and had been abandoned and empty for some years. Dr Herbert was heavily involved in the Rotorua Hunt Club becoming "Master of Hounds' and the Rotorua Racing Club for whom he was president for 25 years. He was elected on the Borough Council in 1923 and served until 1925. He died in Rotorua in the April of 1953.

Excerpt from "Rotorua People : 1880s to 1940s" by Peggy (Ford) Allen.

Discuss This Topic

There are 0 comments in this discussion.

join this discussion