Topic: Mr F.H. Briggs

Topic type:

Owner of the oldest established electrical business in the Bay of Plenty

Excerpt from: Daily Post September 1968

Mr Briggs first established his electrical contracting firm in the back of Mr C.S. King's cabinetmaking factory at the south end of Tutanekai Street in 1924.

At one time Mr Briggs was the only electrician in Rotorua. Appointed the agent for the firm of Claude Neon. Mr Briggs put up Rotorua's first neon sign in about 1927. It was a large carved tiki, mounted on the roof of Chase's garage in Tutanekai Street. 

A returned serviceman who was in Gallipoli in World War 1, Mr Briggs came to Rotorua in 1909 from England where he was born in 1894.

His public interests have been many and varied. A volunteer member of the Rotorua Fire Brigade for 35 years, secretary of the Bay of Plenty Fire Brigades Association for 20 years.  For many years he was a drum major for both the Rotorua Brass Band and the Rotorua Pipe Band. Past Chairman of the Rotorua Primary School committee, first chairman of the Malfroy Intermediate School. The Rotorua representative on the South Auckland Education Board and past member on the Rotorua High School's Board of Governors. Foundation member of the Rotorua Citizens Club

Mr Briggs was also a member of both the Arawa and Rotorua Bowling Clubs and also the Rotorua Racing Club and the Rotorua-Bay of Plenty Hunt.

Discuss This Topic

There are 0 comments in this discussion.

join this discussion

Mr F.H. Briggs


First Names:Frederick Henry
Last Name:Briggs
City:Dalston St Mark, England b.1894, Rotorua d. 09 April 1970
Postal Address:Hinemoa Street, Rotorua