Topic: Empire Hotel

Topic type:

A brief history

Location : South end of Tutanekai Street next to Australia Hotel (near old railway station)

Built by c1907 by J. McFarlane (obituary Rotorua Morning Post 14 March 1938)

Not mentioned in survey of hotels in 1907 (see Don Stafford File - Hotels), however it was advertised in the New Zealand Herald from 1915

Council archives mention alterations carried out by Marlborough Stewart in 1912

Taken over by owner of the Australia Hotel, Mr J.N. McLean in c1913/14

Two hotels run together until c1929 when the Empire was bought by Mr G. Brett and managed by O'Hagans 1930-1933.

Alterations : Number of beds increased from 48 to 64 ; Owner : H.F.O Twigden of Auckland.

Subsequent Managers/Proprietors : R.A. Sutherland c1940 ; J.H. Hodgson 1941-1942/43 ; Mrs M. Edmunds 1944 ; R.S. Savage 1950s.

Continued as a Private Hotel until 1963 when it was bought by Star Electrical TV-Radio Ltd, owner William Archibald 

In 1965 it was demolished to make way for the new Star Electrical shop built in 1966.

In 1989 Star Appliances was at 421 Tutanekai Street.

Discuss This Topic

There are 0 comments in this discussion.

join this discussion

Empire Hotel


City:Rotorua
Location:

1297-1305 Tutanekai St, Rotorua 3010, New Zealand


Latitude and Longitude coordinates: -38.139467,176.25130460000003

javascript needs to be on to use Google Maps