Topic: Brent's Hotel

Topic type:

1885 - 1979

Brent's Temperance Hotel

 

Built by Mr Stephen Brent this hotel began life as "Brent's Temperance Hotel" later changed to "Brent's Bathgate House, and later still it was known as "Brent's Hotel"  excerpt from "Auckland-Waikato Historical Journal, No. 33 September 1978, pgs 13-16. Written by Joan Stagpoole.

Brent's accomodation wings were all demolished in July-Aug 1979, but the 3 bars were still in operation at that time. Vacation Hotels now owned the buildings and were soon to build a 4-storey, 220 bed hotel on this site at the lake end of Hinemoa Street. The old hotel was demolished in 1979 and the site now has the Millennium Hotel on it (Jan, 2013)

For a comprehensive history of the hotel and it's owners, look in the Don Stafford File : Hotels, this folder is in the Heritage Collection, Don Stafford Room on the 2nd Floor of Rotorua District Library.  

After Mr Stephen T. Brent retired in 1921 (and died that same year), Mr Walter B. Gieson took over the reigns until 1929, when Mr Harold Mellsop and others bought the hotel. One manager during 1933-1934 was Cyrus Charles Hutton. During the Second World War the hotel along with others in the city were virtually taken over by the Armed Forces for accommodation. The RNZAF took over the Rotorua Airport at that time also and no civilian aeroplanes were permitted to use the airport.

 

Discuss This Topic

There are 0 comments in this discussion.

join this discussion

Brent's Hotel


City:Rotorua
Location:

1000 Hinemoa Street, Rotorua 3010, New Zealand


Latitude and Longitude coordinates: -38.1381062,176.25698999999997

javascript needs to be on to use Google Maps