Topic: Arawa House

Topic type:

Parsonage, Guesthouse then Nurses Home

Cnr of Arawa & Amohia Streets

Built as a Parsonage for Vicar c1889/1890, sold by 1895/1896 and it became a guesthouse Managed by Mrs D. Griffiths until 1903, thereafter Mr & Mrs P. J. Hammond managed it until 1912 when a J.W. Melville is briefly in charge, Mr & Mrs Richard Griffiths then continued until 1940.  It was put up for auction on 9 December 1940. It was converted to a Nurses Home at some point after 1940 and nurses from the Queen Elizabeth Hospital lived here until 1954. The Waikato Hospital Board bought it in 1959 to be used as a nurses home for the Rotorua Hospital. In 1984 Waiariki Community College was renting a section of it for their nursing college. It was still owned by the Waikato Hospital Board in 1986 when it was sold to developer Mr D. Clemens.

The site was to have a multi-storey office building, and perhaps, it was suggested, the Rotorua Library could have a building there also".  The original Arawa House was demolished by September 1986.

... Don Stafford File : Hotels v1, in the Heritage Collection of Rotorua District Library, on 2nd Floor.

Discuss This Topic

There are 0 comments in this discussion.

join this discussion

Arawa House


City:Rotorua
Location:

1256 Arawa Street, Rotorua 3010, New Zealand


Latitude and Longitude coordinates: -38.1352728,176.24852950000002

javascript needs to be on to use Google Maps