Topic: C. A. Clarke and Son Ltd

Topic type:

Rotorua Aerated Water and Cordial Manufactory

 

Does anyone remember the aerated water factory established in Rotorua by C.A. Clarke?

Bottling began in 1883 in a shed at Utuhina, and by 1967 the firm had some 30 employees.  The factory was on Tutanekai Street , where the Novotel Hotel is now (2012). The plant was probably the only cordial factory in the world to operate on geothermal steam. Their bottles all had the letters 'CAC' on them in glass raised letters. 

A new factory opened at Ngapuna in 1967. It incorporated a heat exchange system that generated the steam and hot water required to sterilise bottles.

When the factory moved to Ngapuna it was where the Timber Yards are now (2012) The site on Tutanekai Street was bought by Reg Durrant who operated a supermarket there, called DURRANTS, and later it changed hands becoming a Woolworths Supermarket. 

Four generations of the Clarke family were involved in the manufacture of aerated waters and cordials.

 

C. A. Clarke and Son Ltd


Location:

1067-1071 Tutanekai St, Rotorua 3010, New Zealand


Latitude and Longitude coordinates: -38.132305,176.25136750000001

javascript needs to be on to use Google Maps

Discuss This Topic

There are 0 comments in this discussion.

join this discussion

C. A. Clarke and Son Ltd


Postal Address:Ngapuna
City:Rotorua