Topic: Whitcoulls

Topic type:

Opened in Eruera Street 1966/67 as Whitcombe & Tombs

Formerly known as 'Whitcombe & Tombs' it was managed by Mr Lindsay Groom to begin with and in 1968 or 1969 a much younger Colin Cox took over the store as Manager. The shop was in the block of Eruera Street between Tutanekai and Fenton Streets. The store was between the Metro Music store and Penney's Paint Shop. Down the road a bit was Kings Pram House and Kenya Coffee Lounge also in this block was the Town & Country Cafe and Wychwood Florist.  In 1972 the merger between Whitcombe & Tombs and a Dunedin based Printing works "Coull, Somerville & Wilkie" took place and the now familiar 'Whitcoulls' was born.   In 1983 'Whitcoulls' moved from Eruera Street to Tutanekai Street in the area next to the Majestic Theatre, now occupied by Gould Photographics.

In November of 1993 a much bigger brighter shop further along Tutanekai Street - in what was the Tutanekai Mall, (Still in the same shop June 2013) was to become 'Whitcoulls' new home.  Whitcoulls had a grand opening sale from the 11th November 1993 giving away bonus dollars to be used as discount off any purchase ($10 and over) from the new shop. The old shop stayed open until Christmas selling heavily discounted lines.

 Information source from a previous staff member of "Whitcombe & Tombs" and The Daily Post, November 10, 1993, pages 15-16.

Discuss This Topic

There are 0 comments in this discussion.

join this discussion

Whitcoulls


City:Rotorua
Location:

1244 Tutanekai Street, Rotorua 3010, New Zealand


Latitude and Longitude coordinates: -38.1375249,176.25163550000002

javascript needs to be on to use Google Maps