Memoirs of John Smale

as told to Marie Booth

Filename: John_Smale.pdf ( view )

Size: 22.7 KB

Document type: application/pdf ( )

Memories of John Smale 
John Smale came to Rotorua in 1951 from Christchurch and lived with his wife in an older house in 
Whitaker Road, then to Pukaki Street.  He then shifted to Tokoiti Street where his two boys were 
born.    At that time John worked around the Bay of Plenty District.  The family grew to four and 
shifted to Jackson Street where John started a business as a painter and decorator, refurbishing the 
country schools of the District. Baby Greg was an escape artist in among the hot pools of 
Ohinemutu, and was one day found trotting happily down the middle of Lake Road. 
In 1958 John acquired the bogies, boiler and drawings etc for a miniature train, and proceeded to 
work long hours building the iconic Toot & Whistle steam train.   
Once it was built, what to do with it?  He approached the Council Parks and Reserves and they took 
two years to offer him the corner of Ranolf and Putuatua Streets which we now know as Kurau 
Park, but at that time was nothing but black berry and scrub before it was developed.  The ground 
under all the rubbish was wet diatomite, which is like thick grease, so multiple loads of fill were 
needed to stabilise it.  John then laid out the tracks, as he says, down on his own little knees, and 
formed the lakes with their monsters and the gardens.  He approached the Council Parks and 
Reserves for help with the gardens, and was given advice and donated plants, but once again the 
work of planting and maintaining was done by himself.   
The grand opening was Sunday of Labour Weekend, 1960.  The official opening was by Mayor 
Murray Linton, and the crowd was between 3 and 4 thousand.  Pukuatua Street was crammed and 
the Transport Department was marshalling the cars.  The Woman’s Weekly interviewed Mrs Smale 
on what it was like being married to a man who was creating a dream then featured an article the 
opening and the running of Toot & Whistle.  This interview advertised the train and put Toot & 
Whistle on the map.  
Easter was always the busiest time for Toot & Whistle, especially if the day was cloudy and dull 
and the lakes were not as attractive.  Many people came back year after year and still went for a ride 
when they were quite big.  One particular girl came every year, and rushed it calling “Here I am.  
I’m Back!” and really thought John remembered her. In later years there were parents who had 
ridden as children and brought their kids for a ride.  Rides were 1/6d a ride, and on the best day ever 
they took £407.0.0 which is an awful lot of one and sixpences, but on the worst day they took only 
one ride of one and sixpence.  
There were troubles.  He had to be constantly vigilant to stop children putting something on the 
track round the back of the area where it was out of sight.  The overhead bridge was another hazard, 
with kids climbing on the balustrade, dropping things over as the train went underneath, and on one 
occasion a dear little boy spat and it went right in Johns face as he drove past.  John stopped the 
train, ran up the ramp and wiped the spittle right back in the kid’s face.  His mother said “Oh he was 
just having fun!”  “So am I” said John.  
Although quite shy when the business started, John soon learnt that a smile and a wave brought 
another passenger and another one and sixpence.  One elderly patron commented “You will wave to 
anything that moves, won’t you.  I was just waving my dog’s paw.”  This was true.  
Clearing up and collecting rubbish was made easy by a policy of any youngsters who were around 
at closing time were given a free ride if they picked up rubbish.  Always amazed John the number 
of parents who brought their children around for the last ride of the day and stated that their child 
had also picked up rubbish.  
The engine had a proper train whistle with a high piercing tone and to the delight of passengers he 
would puff off steam and sound the whistle round the back of the track.  Actually, this whistle could 
be hear all over the CBD and brought people running for a ride.   

Rotorua Yacht Club 
The old yacht club was out on the end of the wharf in a dilapidated old building that was a bit of an 
eye sore.  The Rotorua District Council served notice on the Club that they had to demolish it 
leaving us with no where to go.  We were allocated a piece of land where the Yacht Club now 
stands and John Smale, Sam Orsler and Bunkie McCrae developed the idea of building a new Yacht 
Club building and between the three of them with help from other members proceed to design and 
build the Yacht club building that has stood for many years.  This would have been in about 1954.   
Rotorua Musical Theatre 
Originally know as the Rotorua Operatic Society, this group of enthusiasts met for rehearsals in a 
hall on land known as Line 2, off Te Ngae Road extension.  The actual shows were staged in 
Majestic Theatre which was where Mc Leods Booksellers were in Tutanekai Street, and also at the 
Concert Chamber.  
The Rotorua Women’s Club had two sections in Gibson Street on which they planned to build a 
Club Rooms, but when they put the land up for sale, the Operatic Society bought it.  At this time 
they were holding their rehearsals in the building formerly used by Industrial Gasses in Riri Street.   
This came up for sale, so the Society sold the sections in Gibson Street and purchased the building 
now known as The Casablanca.  As in all major ventures, there was a lot of opposition to this 
purchase, but led by John Smale and supported by Barry Burlace and Glenis Searance and a few 
others the building was acquired and alterations made.  A complete new frontage, kitchen and 
toilets were added, and the raised portion which had been the loading bay for the gas company was 
left to make the format of a raised Front of Theatre as it is today.  
There are many funny stories to be told of shows over the years.  During Super Star, one of the cast, 
acting the part of the sick and the lame, crawling across the stage to get to Jesus, crawled right out 
of her costume.  On another night the stage manager and the star sneaked back to the theatre to have 
a snog, but unfortunately some of the cast heard about it, and hid in the wings.  Just as it was all 
coming together the stage crew turned on all the lights, including the spotlight.   
John Smale is now living at 3 Urquhart Place, phone 348 1508 email 
If there is anything else we can help you with, please do not hesitate to contact us.  

Discuss This Topic

There are 0 comments in this discussion.

join this discussion