St. Faiths Church, Ohinemutu, Rotorua

Caption

The first church of St. Faith built in 1885 was called Te Hahi o Te Whakaono, The Church of the Faith, and was the first permanent church in the Rotorua area.

The second St.Faith's Church stood on the ground from which the first church had been moved. This building, newer and larger, was ornamented inside with Maori art although the exterior was in the Tudor style. Bishop Fredrick Augustus Bennett 1871 - 1950  was Vicar during the building of this second church and it is due to his influence that the church was decorated with Maori art. This church was dedicated in 1914 and consecrated in 1918.

In 1967 the church was re-dedicated after being enlarged by the addition of a new Choir-room, sacristy and chapel, all in the traditional Tudor exterior. Six carved pillars, new tukutuku wall panels and extra carvings were needed to complete the interior space. 

This page from a photograph album was bought by Mr H D Fuller in Taupo, New Zealand. The original owner is unknown but one page has the name William Fairley Young 1925.

Thanks to the Don Stafford File 'Church'  and the J.K. and H D Fuller Collection.

 

Review Pending: currently reverted to non-disputed public version # 6

Discuss This Topic

There are 0 comments in this discussion.

join this discussion