Ngaroto Tour to Mokoia Island

Original Filename: Ngaroto_1961.jpg (view)

Original Size: 46 KB

Original Image Type: image/pjpeg

Ngaroto Tour to Mokoia Island.

Caption

Photograph taken by Lewis Leigh, November 1961

Mr Judd Davy had M. V. Ngaroto constructed in England as, according to a newspaper report at the time, "New Zealand boat-builders do not have the technical knowledge to make an all-wheel steel hull." 

Mr Davy choose a steel hull to avoid 'freshwater rot' and because time lost for servicing the boat was minimal. He expected the Ngaroto which has accommodation for 117 passengers, a 120 h.p. diesel engine and should cruise at about 10 knots to have a lifespan of about 50 years.

The Ngaroto was launched into Lake Rotorua without ceremony on a maiden voyage on Saturday 24th 1955. Amongst those on board was the mayor, Murray Linton.

In 1986 2 hour cruises were scheduled at regular intervals; the Coffee Cruises to Mokoia Island departed the lakefront at 10am and 2pm and returned at 12 noon and 4pm respectively. The Lunch Cruises departed 12.30pm and returned at 2pm offering Ham, Chicken, 3 Salads, Cheesecake Desert all for $25.00 plus tax per adult and $10.00 plus tax for children. Of course, reservations by 11am were necessary.

The B.B.Q Cruises to Mokoia Island departed at 7pm, returned at 10pm and offered Steak, Sausages, 3 Salads and Cheescake Dessert for the same prices as the lunch tour but reservations must be made by 4pm. Full bar facilities were available on board and extra cruises could be arranged. The proprietors at this time were Robin and Bryan Colman.

She was still plying the round trip to Mokoia Island in 1996 when she took out the Rotorua Y Walkers Club.

Thanks to the Don Stafford file "Boats" and the Leigh Collection.

Discuss This Topic

There are 0 comments in this discussion.

join this discussion