Topic: Royal visit 1927

Topic type:

The Duke and Duchess of York visited Rotorua on 28 February 1927

King George VI and Queen Elizabeth visited Rotorua during their tour of the Dominion in 1927. Their arrival by train was eagerly awaited by a crowd of several hundred, who cheered as the train drew into view. Ten Te Arawa chiefs were presented as part of the welcome at the station. Mita Taupopoki, veteran Te Arawa chief, called the welcome and greeted the Duchess. A group of men danced an impromptu powhiri before the Royal couple left in a closed car. Hundreds lined Tutanekai Street as the procession made its way to the Grand Hotel, where the Duke and Duchess appeared on the upper balcony to wave to the enthusiastic crowd.

In the evening the couple attended a concert at the KIng's Theatre, where they sat in armchairs spread with kiwi mats. The next afternoon they visited Whakarewarewa, on an unoffical visit. They were met by Guide Bella and Mita Taupopoki, and were taken by Guide Bella and Sir Maui Pomare to see the Pohutu Geyser. They were then taken to the Fairy Spring, where the Duchess threw bread to the trout. The Duke went down on his knees to see them feed from his hand.

The next morning there was a Maori reception at Arawa Park, and the Duke late unveiled the Arawa War Memorial in the Government Gardens. This memorial, commissioned by the Te Arawa chiefs, depicts Maori mythology as well as honouring men who fell in war. The sculptor was Mr W. H. Feldon. The figure on top is George V, the panel below shows the signing of the Treaty of Waitangi.   

Later that afternoon the party departed for a fishing camp established at Kowhai Flat near Tokaanu.

Discuss This Topic

There are 0 comments in this discussion.

join this discussion

Tags

Royal visit 1927


Location:

1130 Pukuatua Street, Rotorua, New Zealand


Latitude and Longitude coordinates: -38.137007,176.25272700000005

javascript needs to be on to use Google Maps
Date of Event:February 1927