Topic: Celtic Cross memorial, Whakarewarewa

Topic type:

The Celtic Cross at Whakarewarewa village is a memorial to Te Keepa Rangipuawhe

The Celtic Cross at Whakarewarewa village is a memorial to Te Keepa te Rangipuawhe (sometimes called Keepa Te Rangi-puawhe), one of Whaka's great chiefs. Born in 1826, Keepa fought in the wars of the 1860s and 1870s, serving with William and Gilbery Mair and the Arawa contingent. Keepa was a great orator and served as a lay preacher for the Reverand Seymour Spencer. He was known to many of the tourists who visited the Pink and White Terraces. The cross is a sign of his standing in both Maori and Pakeha communities. He dies 27 June 1905. The red granite monument was unveiled at a special ceremony in March 1906.

From Don Stafford's book The new century in Rotorua, in the NZ History & Travel collection at 993.423z STA (2nd floor, Rotorua District Library).  There is a biography of Keepa at http://www.teara.govt.nz/en/biographies/1t68/1 

Discuss This Topic

There are 0 comments in this discussion.

join this discussion

Celtic Cross memorial, Whakarewarewa


City:Rotorua
Location:

Whakarewarewa, Rotorua, New Zealand


Latitude and Longitude coordinates: -38.1598982,176.26441950000003

javascript needs to be on to use Google Maps