Topic: Civic Centre

Topic type:

Municipal Block

'The ceremony of laying the foundation Stone was performed by Rt. Rev. F.A. Bennett, Bishop of Aotearoa and Te Naera Houkotuku, the sole survivor of the members of Ngati Whakaue whose generous gifts of land in 1880 were the foundation of the town of Rotorua'

Evening Post 9 September 1939

 Opened July 26, 1940 by Minsiter of Industries and Commerce, Mr Sullivan. Other speakers were the Mayor of Rotorua Mr T. Jackson, the Mayor of Auckland Sir Ernest Davis, the Bishop of Aotearoa Rt. Rev. F.A. Bennett, Mr C.H. Clinkard, Mr A.F. Moncur, Mr O.H. Coleman, the architect Mr Edmund Anscombe and building contractor Mr C. R. Lloyd.

At a cost of approximately £40,000 it combines under one roof the municipal offices, museum, borough library, concert chamber and an up-to-date picture theatre.

Excerpt from Papers Past - Evening Post - 27 July 1940

Now (2013) known as the Convention Centre which incorporates the re-designed and enlarged 'Civic Theatre' ; the older Concert Chamber ; parts of the old Municipal building and a newer annexe used for conferences, events and Arts Displays.  

Renamed the "Sir Howard Morrison Performing Arts Centre" 2015

Rotorua Convention Centre

Discuss This Topic

There are 0 comments in this discussion.

join this discussion

Civic Centre


City:Rotorua, New Zealand
Location:

1072 Haupapa Street, Rotorua 3010, New Zealand


Latitude and Longitude coordinates: -38.1361213,176.2546456

javascript needs to be on to use Google Maps