Topic: John Falloona excerpt from Obituary

Topic type:

Rotorua Morning Post 15/5/1936

"...Mr Falloona came to Rotorua in 1883 being engaged in storekeeping for a short time took over management of an hotel at Maketu. It was in 1884 he went to Te Wairoa... two years later the village was destroyed by the Tarawera eruption. For the following six years Mr Falloona was employed at the Palace Hotel in Rotorua, later acquiring the license of the Rotorua Hotel from Mr George Crosby.    

In 1894 the railway line from the Waikato to Rotorua was completed as far as Tarukenga and for the following 12 months until the line was extended to Rotorua, Mr Falloona ran a coach service to Tarukenga (12.6 km) and also between Rotorua and Taupo (76.1 km) in addition to sightseeing trips to Waiotapu (27.8km) and Tikitere (16.2 km), having his coaching plant and stables in Rotorua. ... From 1904 to 1928 he took over the Waiwera House, he transferred his interest to Mr F.Chambers, and retired to his home in Whakaue Street where he resided until his death "

Further information on Mr Falloona can be read in Don Stafford's 'The Founding Years' and his research notes in the Don Stafford Room, Heritage Collection on the 2nd Floor of Rotorua District Library..

Discuss This Topic

There are 0 comments in this discussion.

join this discussion

John Falloona excerpt from Obituary


First Names:John
Last Name:Falloona
City:b Belfast, Ireland
Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 New Zealand License
John Falloona excerpt from Obituary by Kete Rotorua is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 New Zealand License