Topic: Rotorua Citizens Club

Topic type:

Club in Rotorua for 87 years as at 2013.

Rotorua Citizens Club 2013 

The club has been on this corner site on Arawa Street since 1984.

Photograph taken by Alison Leigh, July 2013

There has been a Citizens Club in Rotorua since the official opening on 23 December 1926 and was housed in Kusab's Buildings (NE cnr Arawa & Tutanekai Streets). The first president was Mr. W. L. Richards and the membership was 130 and increasing. Mr F. F. Hockley, MP was elected patron of the club.  

Source : Auckland Star, v304, iss 304, 23 December 1926, p8 using Papers Past.

In 1993 the current site, on the corner of Arawa & Rangiuru Streets, was renovated and extended by 700sqm. Included was a family restaurant, extended bar facilities and new games area, a garden bar and a face-lift for the club's historic snooker room.  At this time there were 600 members.

Source : Daily Post, 22 Apr 1993, p3.

In 2010 the club was renovated again to include 62-bed accomodation. "We'll offer the rooms at a discounted rate for affiliated club members and also offer them to tourists. We have a TAB, 18 gaming machines, four full-size snooker tables and five top quality 8-ball tables." At this time the club has 2,400 members.

Source : Daily Post, 21 September 2010. 

Discuss This Topic

There are 0 comments in this discussion.

join this discussion