Topic: Redwood Memorial Grove

Topic type:

In Whakarewarewa State Forest Park, opened 1975, trees planted c.1901-1920

Redwood Memorial Grove.

The Redwood Grove (planted c1901).  Mayor A. Murray Linton launched a plea for public to donate towards the development of Redwood Park (Informally dedicated to soldiers in 1947). Land and trees were being made available by the Forest Service and various interested groups would take part in the development. Those walking in the park would be remembering it had been dedicated as a memorial to men of the Forest Service who died in the World Wars. In the Daily Post 5th August 1969. History of the Grove is in the Daily Post 27 Dec 1979.

Excerpt from the Daily Post, 13th December 1975 :"Official declaration today of the Whakarewarewa State Forest as a State Forest Park...Mr H.R. Lapwood performed the official opening ceremony" At this time Mr Lapwood was Minister of Tourism.

This grove of Redwoods was dedicated, to the forestry workers, who lost their lives in WW1, in 1925 and in 1947 this same grove was unofficially dedicated to those foresty workers who lost their lives in WW2. 

Discuss This Topic

There are 1 comments in this discussion.

Read and join this discussion

join this discussion